I was thinking today, over my first cup of coffee this morning, that one of the great problems we ALL face today is the simple fact that we had stopped talking TO each other and have begun talking AT each other.
This has become a problem not only in our personal and professional conversations, but also in our national dialogue in everything from politics, science, religion, etc. etc. Today, when someone expresses an opposing view we seem to want to reply not with the facts supporting our position, but rather with innuendo, sarcasm, and in some cases just out right vile and vitriolic commentary.
As Voltaire once said, “I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” We need to stop the name-calling, idiotic sarcasm and start listening to each other with the intent to understand rather than the intent to reply with sarcasm and the vitriol.
I do not remember anywhere in history where a conflict of ideas arose where it was settled with sarcasm and incivility. No solutions can ever be reached in this kind of atmosphere. Vile and highly sarcastic language only leads to hatred and others taking an even harder stance against those with opposing views.
In my opinion, while I believe this country was founded on freedom of speech, I do not believe it was founded on freedom of sarcasm and incivility.
” God bless your house and all who dwell within”.
Follow Blog via Email
Bob TeagueCreate Your BadgeFollow me at facebook
- Life Is Not Fair bobteaguesblog.com/2019/09/30/lif… 2 months ago
- Life Isn’t fair bobteaguesblog.com/2019/09/30/lif… 2 months ago
- Listening to Life is Not Fair, Never Was, Never Will Be by Bob Teague blogtalkradio.com/bobteague/2019… 2 months ago
- Listening to What You Allow is What Will Continue by Bob Teague blogtalkradio.com/bobteague/2019… 2 months ago
- What You Allow is What Will Continue tobtr.com/s/11522791 2 months ago
- My Opinion about damn near everything tobtr.com/s/11522223 2 months ago
- I am starting a new currency called Bobbcoin, you can only buy it from me, and you can only use it as currency once… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 months ago
- “Social Media” is Neither One bobteaguesblog.com/2019/08/01/soc… 4 months ago
- The democratic debate was basically," I can give away more free stuff than you can", 5 months ago
- https://t.co/AWWPT42Ggl 5 months ago